Blog Post 1: A New Beginning

Hello! Before I get started, let me cover a couple of things. This being my first blog post, it may be a little longer than future publishings.  Also, I’ll break my posts up into different days of the week for ease of reading.  Let’s get started!

Monday:

OSU Banner
This day was devoted to finishing up my first quarter at Oregon State University with my final test! I am now 1/8 through my Computer Science education and am excited to keep moving forward!

Tuesday – Wednesday:

WordPress Logo
These days were taken up creating the website you see here and tweaking it to get it to look just the way I want (I think I still have a little more tweaking to do.).  Took a little longer than I thought at first as this was my first website I’ve ever created on my own.  A lot of time went into how to get a certain button here, how to remove that side bar there, and ways to get around restrictions of a free service to make it look a little more professional.  Overall I’m happy with the results and hope you are as well!

Thursday – Friday:

Now, down to the nitty-gritty of my project updates.  Because my most recent updates were on my Battleship project, I have chosen to complete this game first.

To start, this game was originally designed in BlueJ, which was a helpful learning tool, but very difficult to use for larger-sized programs.  Therefore, my first line of action was to move my entire project over to Eclipse, which I felt was a good IDE to expand to for furthering my knowledge.

BlueJ to Eclipse Logo

Things went better than I expected and I was able to transfer my project over without it completely breaking!  Granted, I had to fix some inconsistencies here and there, but overall the game worked as it did when I turned it in at the end of May!

Before working on improving the functionality, I cleaned the code up a lot and trimmed the fat.  This helped keep things organized in the code and in my brain which keeps me sane.

The last update I was able to complete this week was revamping the look of the scoring window for a hit counter on each player.  Originally, it was programmed to output in the console window and looked something like this:

Old Scoring Window

It served its purpose well, but could not work for an actual game.  Mirroring my main menu, I kept the same font and color theme, but now have a fully operation scoring window!  This keeps track of Battleship hits with both the 2-Player and the Computer game type.  The result of this experiment can be seen below:

Updated Scoring Window

Next week I plan on continuing to work on improvements to this game including:

  • Game optimization
  • Clearer Player messages of events in-game
  • Creating an applet from the game to give you guys something to test

Long-term goals for this project (may be this week or later):

  • Extra game modes
  • Improved graphics
  • Sound!

Even longer-term goals

  • Bring “The Quest” up to speed and improve functionality
  • Create new, interesting game types akin to Legend of Zelda
  • Move on to new and exciting projects!

Thanks for stopping by!  The next blog posts will probably be more direct than this as I get a feel for blogging, but let me know your thoughts on anything in which you have questions or comments!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s